Anxiety is a normal emotion we all have had at one time or another. However, when a person has an unreasonable level of anxiety, it may become a medical disorder. Anxiety disorders can lead to a feeling of nervousness, fear, worry, and apprehension.
While several different diagnoses constitute anxiety disorders, the symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder will often include the following:
• restlessness, and a feeling of being "on edge"
• uncontrollable feelings of worry
• increased irritability
• concentration difficulties
• sleep difficulties, such as problems in falling or staying asleep
The standard treatment has been medication and sometimes psychotherapy or behavioral therapy.
There are also actions one can take to help cope with anxiety:
• Stress management- Learning to manage triggers that increase stress in your day-to-day life.
• Relaxation techniques- These can include yoga, breathing exercises, going for a walk, or a long bath.
• Being grateful- Focusing on all the positive things one has in their life, learning to focus on positive thoughts and emotions.
• Support- Talk with friends or family who are supportive.
• Exercise- Get moving, when you exercise your body releases chemicals called endorphins. Endorphins trigger a positive feeling in the body.
A recent study done at Xuzhou Guangci Hospital psychiatric department, compared acupuncture combined with moxibustion therapy to a benzodiazepine medication.
Acupuncture combined with moxibustion produced a 93.75% total effective rate and alprazolam plus gamma oryzanol produced a 75% total effective rate.
The results of this randomized controlled trial indicate that acupuncture with moxibustion is a safe and effective treatment for anxiety, with the advantage of providing symptomatic relief within a relatively short period.
If you or someone you know suffers from anxiety, call us today to learn how we can help.
You can read the full study here: